For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Walking Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2018.09.19 09:27
My husband is in Long Term for the last 3 and a half months. Even though I am not the total caregiver anymore I am still his advocate.
When he went there he was in a wheelchair, because he was having balance problems and falling sometimes. He is still in the wheelchair.
Physio was getting him to walk only 3 times a week and at first he resisted and I stayed with them while he walked, so he was okay after that.
The PSW can only lifts 10 pounds so they were getting a lifter to get him to the toilet.
Now they use a lift that is on a track and on the ceiling and he's in a sling. and they put him on a commode.

They haven't been walking lately because first he had sores on his toes and his one foot was swelling. But now they don't walk him because he is resisting and physio are hurting themselves.
I was thinking of asking the nurse to see if I was around to have them try again to get him to walk. If I could encourage him and maybe he would walk for them.
If he doesn't walk at all, he will get weaker and weaker. Sitting in the wheelchair constantly is not good.
He will loose his mobility.
I feel so badly that he isn't walking ...

By Lynnie2 On 2018.10.02 17:28
I asked the nurse if she could talk to physio about getting him walking again.
I talked to her yesterday and physio accessed him, but they said they are unable to walk him. He doesn't have the strength to stand and is declining.
She also said that they have to feed him, which I know because I feed him when I go in.
She know it's hard for me, which it is to know he won't ever walk again.
His back has been hurting so yesterday they put him in bed in the afternoon.
He was sleeping when I left, so I know it will do him good to be in a different position for a while.
I feel better now that I know I did everything I could to get him walking, but I have to accept the way things are now. This has been weighing on me lately.
I took some slippers that I knitted a while back, so I put them on his feet. They will make his feet feel better.

They are still doing range exercises 3 times a week. They showed me some that I could do when I go in to visit him.

By Lynn03 On 2018.10.02 20:33
Hello Lynnie2,

I am glad to know you have support. The knitted slippers sound like a very comforting gift.

Take care,

Lynn

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you