For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Camping....? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynn03 On 2018.04.20 17:16
Hello Everyone,

I love to be outside and I like the challenge of cooking over the fire or with my Dutch oven.

I have made several accommodations for husband w/ Parkinson's I usually try to find a level spot and anticipate that I will do most all the camping "work" of setting up, cooking etc. Have any of you made modifications to make spending time in your fav camping place workable?

By jcoff012 On 2018.04.21 15:19
We 'haven't camped for several years, but not because of PD, just because between years of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, I have had my fill! However, our SIL and BIL go often with their son who has severe CP and is in a motorized wheelchair. Like you, they chose spots that are as level as possible and are close to the restrooms and showers (They use KOA often). They also make sure they have cell service and an additional landline phone in case of emergency. She says that the main thing they try to do is make everything as inconspicuous as possible, so that they blend in with others. Not unlike a PWP, he is unable to assist in fire making or cooking, but he can roast marshmallows for the S'Mores and make icecream in a can (by rolling it back and forth)...She looks for easy treats and desserts so he can 'help'.

I would imagine the best thing to do would be to keep things simple so that you, too, are able to relax and enjoy your surroundings. Be prepared for as many worse case scenarios, then, when nothing happens, you will have a blast!

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you