For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic At peace finally Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By moonswife On 2019.08.14 09:05
Mike passed peacefully yesterday after fighting the bastard known as PD for 25 years. It robbed him of so many abilities, and he almost refused to give in. Inch by inch it worked it's way up his body. 17 months ago he lost muscle that let him pee. Then it was muscles in bowels. Next was the strength to stand. If he took his Sinemet, he would have one good period of the day, and it would build up so he would have dementia like symptoms at dinner time. (Would go out to his big shop and refuse to come in even though it was dark, late and he had not eaten). We cut back Rx so many times. I would read your posts and search for help every week I am guessing. This is a wonderful forum and I will send Jim a donation one last time...and check in on all of you from time to time. Mike went on Hospice on his 73rd birthday, and lasted longer than I thought he would. He would beg Andrew, our caregiver for nearly 5 years while I was at work, to take him "outside". He meant to the backyard to see the chickens, look at the tomato garden, talk to the 140 year old desert tortoise, and invariably manage to tip the wheelchair. Andrew could take him to the front porch, a mere 5 feet from his I Comfort bed, but one day after I was alone with him he managed to pull his naked body (with catheter attached to foot of bed) out over the top of the bed and finally on to the floor. I asked him where he thought he was going and he said outside, I need to go outside to the shop. For the last 11 days he had lost the muscle controlling his throat, and swallowing had deteriorated. No food, liquid or Rx. He fought the good fight until the peace came and by then the muscle in his eyelids even stopped working. If you want to meet him you can YOUTUBE Parkinson's, Cancer and Kaiser and see this amazing man we lost. If I have any advise for any of you it is to spread the message to make memories, rather than money, as your goal in life. You never lose them and I wet his tongue every 10 minutes to keep it from drying out with a sponge on a stick and just talked, sang, joked, and relived vacations, family events, favorite pets and the friends he loved. He is with his parents, the friends that proceeded him in death and will be there for me, my son and daughter and our one granddaughter, the only man she ever has had in her life. We will celebrate him soon, but tonight I share him with you.

By jcoff012 On 2019.08.14 12:39
God bless you and help you find peace. You have been sweet, wise and a good companion. Bless your future. Rest now, as he is finally at rest.

By LOHENGR1N On 2019.08.14 16:35
My sincerest condolences to You and Your loved ones upon Your loss.

By lurkingforacure On 2019.08.14 21:17
I am so sorry to read of your dear husband's passing. Your love is so evident in your post and I hope that you take comfort in all that you did for your husband.

Thank you for letting us all know, hugs, lfac

By Checkmate On 2019.08.15 12:11
So sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for letting us know. It must be so difficult for you but he has found his peace.

By Busymom On 2019.08.16 12:36
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family. He will live on in your hearts and memories.

By VioletV On 2019.08.25 13:46
Moonswife,
I only now am seeing this notice of your loss. My deepest sympathy as you hold his memory close and take plenty of time to look both back and forward.

VV

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you