For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Dental problems Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By junipersage On 2019.12.03 20:31
My husband has both drooling and also dry mouth as a Parkinson's symptom, which I know can make someone more prone to cavities. At his most recent dentist visit (he goes every six months) we got the disheartening news that his teeth have gotten much worse since his last visit, and he will need six crowns and eleven fillings. Poor guy. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule all this ASAP, before he has his hip replacement surgery in mid-January. Ugh.

Has anyone found a solution for dry mouth for their PWP? He chews sugar-free gum during the day and wakes up many times a night to drink water. Beyond that, I don't know what else we can do. I've read that the chronic inflammation of the gums that you get with poor oral health can actually interact with Parkinson's and speed disease progression. I'm already nagging him about brushing and flossing even more, but....if he doesn't listen, I don't know what else I can do.

By jcoff012 On 2019.12.07 22:16
Our dentist has us come in 3-4 times a year because I have diabetes and my husband has PD. He says both diseases make one prone to cavities and he wants to control plaque for our heart health. My husband drools, too. He sleeps with a washcloth on his chest!

Not sure if the gum helps or hurts...I was told to stop because it gets between the teeth. Ask your dentist.

I really feel his pain, as it took me three years to get my teeth back to pre-disease health. Several root canals, crowns,and a bridge later, my oral health is great! I wish him well. One day at a time. Good luck!

By USMCPD On 2019.12.14 18:14
How progressed is the PD to when the dry mouth started? I have just retired early to take care of my wife. She also has Chemical sensitivities to go along with PD which makes it hard to see doctors that allow perfumes and heavy chemicals. We are both Marine Corps Vets, but it would be easier to do local dentist. Dry mouth part is not happening yet.

By LOHENGR1N On 2019.12.17 00:02
Hi USMCPD and welcome to the forum. There is no time schedule as to when our symptoms start. Or which symptoms present themselves first. Some medications can have dry mouth as a side-effect. Some people can have it early (suspect side effect of med's) others later in the disease. Again welcome to the forum

By Not Florence On 2020.03.05 16:07
My husband has very dry mouth too. The dentist told us that saliva acts like an on-going teeth swishing and without as much saliva he's really going to be in trouble with tooth decay. I got him Biotene toothpaste

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you