For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Holiday Depression Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By DaytoDay On 2019.12.28 16:53
Hello ... haven’t been here for a while. just wondering if others are feeling the sadness of your spouse trying to talk to relatives and them just looking back at him and making him feel bad. Sorry so brief but so tired. Kind of eager for holidays to be done. He always says he wants to see relatives but then it doesn’t go well.

By jcoff012 On 2019.12.28 21:11
For the last few weeks, we both have noticed that drive through workers, store clerks, and waitresses and waiters are having a great deal of trouble hearing and/or understanding my husband. The sadness we both feel is at times overwhelming.

Then, later in the month, Christmas with family and relatives was worse for him. His brother called and spoke to me for awhile, but when it came to talking to my husband, the conversation was extremely short “because he said he was having trouble hearing me.” Again, a sad time. It was difficult to watch my husband withdraw while others held conversations. It seemed only our young grandchildren had the patience and sweetness to sit with him. No one ‘“did” anything, no one was unkind, but it still was difficult to see.

The only thing I would say is that keep exposing him to outside stimulus and stand by to have his back. If things go particularly bad, I speak up and explain that they are hurting him because he’s doing the best he can. Often times, they don’t realize he has been hurt.

By DaytoDay On 2019.12.30 12:42
Sad to say that so many are relieved/happy when the stressful holidays are over. I feel that way and we don’t even have children! I can only imagine how involved it gets for some people. Being from a huge family, I DO know how complicated it gets. I sure hope we all have a better year in 2020. I try to always keep in mind what I am grateful for because so many people are struggling in so many different ways. So nice to be able to vent to this online family. Thanks for being there. It’s been 2 yrs since the DBS and hubby is doing pretty darn well considering how it could be and how it is for so many with P . They have to be brave...they don’t have a choice. Two of my local support group friends lost their husbands last year so my husband is feeling quite insecure. Must just take it day by day.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you