For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Bedsores Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2020.01.13 11:21
Hello all,

I haven't posted much for awhile. We've had such a hard time the past several months and have been referred to hospice. It's a real roller coaster of emotions to actually be where we are on this journey, where I never though we would be, and just when you think that THIS is the worst, it gets worse. I'm hoping someone here has experience that can help me navigate through our current issue.

My husband has developed a big raw area near the top of his buttcrack, at the base of the spine. I noticed it last Wednesday and even though I put copious amounts of cream on it every day when I changed my husband, it is significantly bigger now and looks deeper. When I called hospice to ask what I should do, since the cream is obviously not working, I was told I need to keep my husband in bed and roll him from side to side every two hours to keep the pressure off the sore. I can do that, but feel so terrible for my husband. He dozes most of the day anyway, but he does it in his reclining wheelchair or recliner, and getting him in and out of that is at least some "exercise" for him. He has lost so much weight and strength. He is so weak now that he cannot even bear his own weight (it takes two hospice CNAs to get him in and out of the shower, and I no longer even try to get him off and on the toilet as it's just too dangerous).

I'm wondering if, now that we have this pressure sore or bedsore as they call it, does that mean my husband is bedridden? Because his skin is so frail, can he no longer sit in a wheelchair or recliner for any extended period of time without risking getting another one of these sores?

And if we're bedridden, what can I put in my husband's room to help make it easier on him? It's so isolating to be in bed, stuck in your bedroom, with the family in other rooms doing homework, cooking, etc., but I don't know what might help. He doesn't really watch TV, so putting a TV in his room isn't something he's likely to want.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, thanks:)

By Lynnie2 On 2020.01.13 12:25
When my husband was in a wheelchair and not walking, he started getting pain from a pressure sore.
I bought a Roho cushion which has air in it and is the best cushion you can get. It was expense but our benefits covered the cost. You can look online to see what I mean.
The cushions that come with a wheelchair are so much harder. If you have a wheelchair that tilts, that will take off the pressure too. They can be adjusted to stay at a tilting position.

When my husband was in the nursing home, they put him on his side and used cushions or wedges to help him stay in the side position.

I don't know if there is anything you can get to put on the mattress to help him, but if you can talk to a motion specialty person, they might be able to help. In our area we had a store that sold wheelchairs and items used for mobility and other things. Maybe you have a store like that in your area.

By Busymom On 2020.01.14 14:11
At the end for us, the last 10 days my husband had been taken as an inpatient to a hospice facility (as opposed to being cared for at home, because he was basically unconscious at this point), but he had a slight pressure sore on his lower back as well and I recall how they always put rolled up towels under him here and there, so as not to aggravate that, and switched his position every few hours. So if nothing else you might give that a try, using rolled towels as props to keep him off the sore...

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles, I have been there, I know what you mean by just when you think it can't get worse, it does. As a mom I know you are being strong for your kids, they will lean on your example and support through this. But kids are resilient as well, and they can have more strength than we give them credit for. Hugs and prayers to you and your family...and I'm glad to hear you have hospice to help, they are a very great resource. Dunno what I would've done without them.

By VioletV On 2020.01.18 22:33
Lurking,
when my husband had the beginnings of pressure sores the staff were super vigilant. it is important to change the position every couple of hours. Also itīs wierd, but a specific form of honey called Manuka Honey has been studied and does help pressure sores to heal more quickly. Here is an RCT reporting the value of Manuka Honey. Get it from a repultable health food store, not just on Amazon, IMO https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3876612/

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you