For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Increased drooling Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2020.02.01 20:27
Does drooling increase as PD progresses? Carl is becoming self-conscious because he is drooling more than just at night. Wondered if the saliva output increases as the days wear on?

In that same area, he seems to think that if his sugar intake/carbs intake increases, so does the drooling.

Any comments?

By LOHENGR1N On 2020.02.02 09:44
Jane and Carl, As I understand it Drooling doesn't really increase. We produce about same amount it is the underlying disease progression most likely. P.D. they say "softens" the throat muscles or they lose tone and don't pull the saliva down as normally happens. So the saliva builds up causing drooling. They tried injecting (don't quote me here Botox?) The theory being by injecting this they restrict flow of saliva or block the duct thereby lessening the amount pooling to lessen the drooling. Hope this helps.

By jcoff012 On 2020.02.02 11:59
Al, you are right about the Botox...one of his boxing friends told him to ask his doctor. But, his neurologist doesnít recommend a lot of ďcuresĒ. He prefers to wait and see. ;)

By DaytoDay On 2020.02.03 10:31
Hello Jane & Al...my hubby has had Botox injections about 4 times in the last few years and it does seem to have helped. Now that it has worn off completely I definitely seem to be seeing more drool falling down. The last time, one yr ago, the doctorís asst injected 4 different spots along the jaw line instead of just 2 spots as she had done prior. Also, Medicare covers it as long as applications are 90 days apart or more. He thinks itís helping his face look younger (ha ha).

By jcoff012 On 2020.02.03 16:35
DaytoDay, thank you for responding. The money isnít the problem for us...we have great insurance through Anthem/Blue Cross, as well as Medicare. But,it IS great to know Medicare would cover it. ;)

Carl is on low dose Requip, Sinemet three times a day, and Melatonin before bed...thatís it. Adding the Botox would be a big deal for him because he watched his Mom go through PD meds for 22 years, so he tries to manage his PD with as few meds as possible!

If he cannot find relief, I will show him the responses here, thank you.

It seems there is always something with PD!

By Lynnie2 On 2020.02.05 15:02
M

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by by people like you