For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic I knew this day would come Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Checkmate On 2021.12.31 23:10
My husband passed away this morning. I am finding it difficult to express how I feel there are no words. I knew one day I would write this post and like many others on this forum I often wondered how this would play out. Gerry was diagnosed with pneumonia on Christmas Eve and treated with antibiotics. He was released from hospital but steadily declined. He had extreme abdominal pain and was admitted to hospital on Tuesday. It took along time to get control of the pain with medication and was excruciating to witness. They never diagnosed the cause of the pain but I believe it was muscle cramping. I am so angry after battling Parkinsonís for 20 yrs he still had to endure more pain at the end of his life. I fought his corner every step of the way but in the end could not stop the pain he suffered. Our two kids are numb. This weekend we will have his memorial and celebrate the strongest and bravest man we know. I do not know how to live in this world without him. I would love to hear from other members who have lost their partners and how they are coping as I feel utterly lost.

By NoMatterWhat On 2022.01.02 08:32
Oh, my friend,
I am so very sorry to hear how you all have suffered. My heart goes out you and your family. You have been so very brave. I am not able to be helpful as i am in the position of knowing that my post of this kind has yet to be written and is in my future. I am here, however, holding you close in my heart and we will watch for the friends here to respond. Thank you for the strength it took to reach out at this difficult time. This forum and the friends on it can now reach out and catch you. I am waiting with you.
NoMatterWhat

By lurkingforacure On 2022.01.02 20:08
Checkmate,

I am so sorry. i won't try to tell you how to cope, or what to expect, other than to say that grief has its own way with each of us, and to let yourself cry, sob, scream, despair, or anything else you need to do, when you need to do it. You won't be able to stop it, anyway, or at least I couldn't/can't.

You may find yourself distracted from the grief, in part, by tending to your kids, working, etc. (I was and still am). But when you are driving and you pass that special place, or you are at home, and you glance at that spot he used to sit and you realize he isn't sitting there and never will again, the loss will hit you all over again.

One day at a time. Hugs to you and your children:)

By Catlady On 2022.01.03 02:39
Checkmate,
I am so very sorry for your loss. I am in awe of the courage and compassion youíve shown in caring for your husband through such a long journey. Iím sure that your love was a great comfort and joy to him. You will be in my prayers, Catlady

By VioletV On 2022.01.03 14:20
Checkmate,
I too am sorry for your loss.

My lovely husband died more than two years ago.
Only now am I beginning to forge an identity that is something other than being his widow.

Please be gentle with yourself. The waves of memory and sense of loss will come and go over time. Console yourself with the knowledge that you gave him everything that you had to give.

VV

By NoMatterWhat On 2022.01.04 08:22
Such a family of caring people from which we can all draw strength.

NMW

By poollady On 2022.01.04 17:35
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. If there was a way to give you a hug, I would. So here is a virtual one (( )). We'll keep praying for you and your family.

By Checkmate On 2022.01.05 08:38
Thank you very much everyone for your support. Your responses have been an immense comfort to me as I try to find my way forward. I will continue to monitor this site and hopefully help in anyway I can. Love and hugs to you all.

By DaytoDay On 2022.01.11 10:46
So very very sorry to hear this. You were such a diligent, caring partner all of those years. We all take lessons from you. Your dear husband is no longer with you but you will go on & be brave for yourself and your kids. It is such a difficult time for you in your overwhelming grief right now and know that we grieve WITH you. He would want that for all of his family. Wishing you strength and, like the others, many hugs.

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you